I decided to take a stock image of a Polaroid camera and make an Instagram-style social media advertisement.
- I deliberately utilized white space in this design as minimalism is something I struggle with. The color palette sampled from the rainbow logo on the camera itself contrasts with the large white field.
- Colors were sampled directly from the image to repeat the well-known rainbow design while not making the older camera look too faded
- Various sources on the internet point to Frutiger Bold as being the base font for the actual Polaroid logo, and I wanted to stay true to the brand while still freshening up the image. The contrast with Sign Painter script looked classic and fresh.
Proximity / Alignment
- Text has a strong right alignment with the camera image that contains white space to the left to provide “looking room” due to how the device was aligned in the frame.
- Pen tool vector selecting and masking to remove the camera cleanly from the original background
- Rectangle Shape tool for the rainbow boxes
- Text Tool character modifications including changing some of the kerning of the original font
Original Image (Left): Credit Eniko Kis, Unsplash